Thursday, July 03, 2008

Why I Resigned from IAS Manila

I recently came across the following from a friend's blog...
Obviously, you don’t know half the story of what really happened in IAS-Manila dude. You only heard what Jonas has to say, you wanna know the whole truth? He might have told you about why he got "fired" (yes, fired by the CEO himself) about stealing company money and stuff. But that’s not the whole picture buddy. He got fired because of "misuse of company resources". He created a conflicting Creative Studio inside IAS without letting the CEO and some people inside IAS Manila knowing anything about it. This is just the tip of the iceberg man. You should ask the people in IAS the whole story and know the whole truth before you go threatening people...ayt???

P.S. I know Jonas is a good man, a great friend. I don’t question that. But I won’t let anyone damage the truth and bad-mouth the people who only wants fairness amongst the company.
Let me first answer this point by point then I’m going to go over this in general. Before I begin however, let me say this: apparently you don't know most of the story yourself, anonymous.

He might have told you about why he got "fired" (yes, fired by the CEO himself)

I was not fired, I RESIGNED. I talked to Scott Ownbey, IAS CEO, earlier and he said “I was pretty clear that you left to pursue other ventures”. I was given clearance and given a clean sheet by the man himself going as far as being provided with a very nice letter of recommendation (thanks, man).

We remain close buddies.

I chatted him up on YM after encountering the above comment and told him that I plan to clear this out in my blog to which he said “sure”.

On the day that I left he went as far as verbally assuring the IAS Manila staff in a general meeting that ALL of the MONEY that was channeled through IAS Manila was accounted for with not a single cent out of place. This FACT is supported by the US Head Accountant, the Manila Accountant, and by an annual independent audit.

I have the books to prove it.

I’ve gone as far as using my own money when remittances get delayed during the early days of IAS Manila to tide the studio over. A lot of the folks who was with us from the beginning know this.

He created a conflicting Creative Studio inside IAS without letting the CEO and some people inside IAS Manila knowing anything about it.

Scott knows about my pseudo studio (at least it was a pseudo studio back then) and I’ve never hidden this from any of the IAS Manila people. He knows my rationale for that studio and so does the others.

I’ve given him full disclosure about everything and then some.

The General

Of course, I can explain until I’m blue in the face but the reality of it is that people will always think what they want to think even if presented with evidence saying otherwise.

I guess I’m guilty until proven innocent.

I resigned because I was accused of stealing from the very studio that I set up by the people who I thought of as my friends rather than just my employees. I have always been lenient, open, and put everyone else concerns ahead of mine.

I am far from a perfect manager but I can say that I have done my absolute best.

Rather than have others think that I continue to stay on because of my cushy job and admittedly hefty salary I left because I though that was the most honorable thing I can do given the situation. That and I can’t possibly work in an environment that fosters that kind of sentiments towards me.

Yes, call me balat-sibuyas but I happen to like having fun at work.

I considered taking legal action against some people because accusing someone of stealing without having proof is considered slander and is actionable but we were friends once.

That has got to count for something at least in my book.

No comments: