Saturday, January 12, 2008

Development Communication

“Whassat!?”

This is pretty much the reaction I get whenever I tell people what my course was back in college (which is BS Development Communication for those of you guys who missed this post’s title).

I usually try to give them a better idea by citing my areas of studies under DevCom, as we affectionately call it. I majored in Educational Communication, minor in Broadcast Communication, technical courses in Economics and Agricultural Economics, and sampled a bazillion subjects which included Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Statistics, Psychology, Philosophy, and (my waterloo) Mathematics.

My General Education courses was an entirely different thing altogether.

Of course, by this time, the person I am talking to will probably get that I have no idea what my course is as well in which case said individual will move on to a more interesting topic of conversation (like the life cycle of snails).

It was only recently when I was researching about communication online and re-reading my old notes for a curriculum I’m developing when I chanced upon the term Development Communication in Wikipedia.

There, you can read about the extensive histories and theories behind my course (click here) but in a nutshell…
Development Communication, simply defined, is the use of communication to promote development. More specifically, it refers to the practice of systematically applying the processes, strategies, and principles of communication to bring about positive social change.”
Kewlness!

No comments: